Saturday, January 8, 2011

Super Easy, No Cook, Homemade Play Dough

I discovered this super easy, cheap to make, no cook, homemade play dough recipe on a website called Instructables.com. I had made homemade play dough in the past, but the recipe I had required cooking and then cooling of the dough. This recipe is SO much better because it's super fast to make and requires no cooking! I'll never make it any other way again! This is a great recipe also because it's incredibly cheap to make. It's much more affordable than store bought, and you can control the colors you want by how much food coloring you add. I used the new NEON food coloring and my daughter just loved the bright colors! This is a great rainy-day project!

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
food dye (any color)


This will make one batch of dough. Make as many additional batches of dough for each color you desire.


STEP ONE-- Add ingredients:
Measure out 1 cup of four, and pour it into the bowl.
Then, measure out 1/2 cup of salt, and add that to the bowl, too.
Fill the measuring cup with 1/2 cup of water and pour it into the mixing bowl.

STEP TWO-- Mix ingredients
Using a spoon, mix up the ingredients. Mix it until it's not too watery or flour-y.



STEP THREE- Add food coloring

Add a few drops of food dye to the mush. Then pick it up and start kneading it. You can add more food dye to improve color if desired.
My daughter loved the bright colors of the neon food coloring!




STEP FOUR-- You're Done!
If the dough is a little sticky, knead a little bit of flour into it.

HAVE FUN!!!!

HELPFUL TIP:

Wear gloves when kneading the food coloring into the dough. The food coloring will stain your hands.


FUN VARIATION:
I made one batch and left out the food coloring. My daughter made her creations and then I baked them on a cookie sheet at 200 degrees for 1 hour. After they cooled, she painted them. This was a fun way to keep her creations forever!

I made a batch of play dough but left out the food coloring. My daughter made this adorable octopus and I baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for one hour. I let it cool completely and then she painted it.






Here's the finished painted project! Now you can keep your kids cute creations forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment